|Posted by Tonza Borden on September 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM|
The best personal property to sell is also accumulated from businesses and other family members, growing larger as time passes.
Disposing of possessions occurs in conjunction with downsizing, which in many cases will only allow people to acquire new things.
Seniors typically have accumulated a massive amount of things for different reasons, i.e. out of necessity, as gifts, or any one of the following reasons:
- Things are useful and help them in one-way or another.
- Things are worth something so they hold onto them because they could never recoup the value or what they paid for them.
- Things satisfy and seem to fulfill a purpose for keeping them.
- Things represent them in terms of vocation, hobby, travels, and volunteer work.
- Things represent a time capsule in that it is hard to give up things that conjure the past or the future. For instance, I maintain an antiques room that reminds me of my grandmother’s house, and quilt squares that I plan to make quilts from… someday.
- Things for giving because it makes them feel good to share, knowing that their things will help someone else.
- Things that represent family heirlooms that can be passed down to future generations to continue the family history.
- Things not wasted prevent want of useful things and seniors can remember the hardships of the Great Depression and how difficult it was to throwaway useful things.
As there are various reasons why seniors acquire and keep things, there are just as many problems associated with downsizing and dispersal of things.
Not only must they address the living space of a family home, but also the attic, basement, garage and storage areas.
Not only are seniors potential clients with the best household goods, they are also faced with a difficult task of establishing housekeeping in a new, smaller space and the daunting task of rearranging their belongings to fit the space, and whom can they enlist to help them.
Thanks for reading. Post a Comment to ask me anything about estate sales!
Written by Tonza Borden from Atlanta, Georgia: Hi, I'm estate liquidator of EstateSaleServiceAtlanta.com, and publisher of Secret Of Estate Sales Marketing Success: REAL Estate Sale Techniques & Templates To Go From Beginner To Getting An Endless Stream Of Estate Sale Clients. I help people find the resources they need to succeed in estate liquidation, worldwide.
Categories: How To Find Estate Sale Clients